Friday, December 6, 2013

Take a stand.

Today, I came across THIS on facebook. A video going viral, and for all the right reasons.
Not enough people address bullies. I occasionally see some people who may via social media, but at the same time I have seen those same people being mean to others.

I remember being in grade school and getting made fun of for things I couldn't control.
You see, I was 'white trash'.  My mother was the mother who showed up drunk to my school, I was the girl with lice, I was the girl who had a mom that worked at Judy Kays, as well as Kathys bar. The girl who had a mom who slept around. Adults would stereo-type me, thinking Korey and I didn't know.
We did.
We heard it.
We lived it, and it sucked.

Next, we were the 'foster kids'. Although now we at least looked nice, people would still pick on me because now, 'no one loved us'.

After I got adopted  I thought, oh things will change. Well, my name changed from Hill, to Armbrust(pronounced arm-breast). Low and behold, I got boobs. So next it was people making fun of my name, "Can I put my arm on your boobs" Really? Real original.

High school, I got made fun of for being a 'prude'.
Seriously. Guys make fun of girls for not having sex, but at the same time if you have to much sex you get made fun of too.
After my brother graduated, a few guys called me fat. They would 'moo' at me like a cow and throw some food at me.
I hated it. I remember crying and wanting to move schools. Not much of my high school years did I enjoy. I am not saying, 'oh feel sorry for me' that's not what I am fishing for.

You see now, I'm in my twenties, I am married, and have a step daughter and a son.
Not even a month ago, I got made fun of by a woman older then me.
I got called fat, nasty, ugly, lazy, you name it, she said it. She called out my stretch marks, my parenting, and who  I am as a person.
It took me back.
Words do hurt. BAD.
The sad thing is though, as much as all this heart me, and made me feel low, this is NOTHING compared to what others go through.
It kills me as a parent, what may or may not happen to my children.
I even worry about the people who bullied me. What happens if one day you have kids, and they get made fun of? OR worse, what happens if you teach them this awful habit?

Girls get made fun of if they are 'fat' or 'skinny'. Some girls hate being told how little they are, and others will starve themselves to meet what society proclaims is 'hot'.
Some, even make fun of girls who are actually comfortable if they are over weight, using pictures of curving women and saying, 'These are curves, you are just fat.'

People get made fun of for skin color. Calling a African American the 'N' word doesn't make you a bad ass rebel, it makes you ignorant, and your heart full of hate.

Using the words: stupid, retard, tard, dumb...so on, those words mean a whole lot, especially to someone who may be classified as mentally retarded, or someone who is even dyslexic.

Are you gay? Is it really my business? No. Profiling the gay community as 'fags' or 'homos' isn't acceptable. Bottom line. I don't get in the debate of being gay or not being gay. It's not my business what others choose or who they choose. It's also not others business to deliberately make fun of those people. Bringing religion into it, is your deal, but making fun of them is not right.

The world is getting out of control with bullying. I don't understand what makes one person better then the next.

People can't control what color skin they have.
People can't control how straight there teeth are.
People can't control who there parents are.
People can't control if they have a disability.




No comments:

Post a Comment